Frequently Asked Questions
Feel free to contact us on using the contact us form.
Am I able to have driving lessons in my own/family or friends car?
Under certain circumstances, customers may want to receive lessons in their own/family vehicle. This is a good idea where the car will be used for a Practical Driving Test. It is also a good idea when a learner has a new car and wishes to familiarise themselves with it. L on Road Driving School Ipswich is able to offer customers training in their vehicle, provided the vehicle is registered, roadworthy and comprehensively insured.
Prior to any training being conducted in the customer’s vehicle, the instructor should inspect the vehicle for its roadworthiness. The inspection should include, but is not limited to, a check of the following items;
- the vehicle registration plate is valid, current, intact and displayed appropriately
- the vehicle is comprehensively insured and the customer’s insurance company is notified that it will be used by a driving instructor to conduct training in
- The tyres:
- are correctly inflated (air pressures must reflect the manufacturer’s recommendation as a minimum).
- have appropriate levels of tread
- are not damaged
- all indicators, headlights and brake lights are working
- seats and seat belts are in good working order and are not damaged or twisted
- any loose items in the cabin of the vehicle are stowed in the cargo (boot) area
- the windows and interior are clean
- the vehicle has sufficient petrol to last the course of the lesson (minimum requirement – a quarter of a tank)
What is the cancellation policy on lessons?
We understand that there may be instances where you may have to cancel a lesson. We require 48 hour notice prior to the lesson date. Failure to do say may incur the student paying the cost of the lesson.
How do I book my driving test?
When you are ready, your driving instructor will let you know. You can book a test directly online on the gov.uk website, however there is no guarantee that your specific Instructor is available at that time – so please check with instructor before booking.
How many lessons will I need to learn to drive?
This depends on the individual, as every student has different abilities, needs, levels of experience and different opportunities to practice. Be aware of anyone who “quotes” a number of lessons over the phone as it is impossible, without first assessing your current skill levels. Once one of our Driving Instructors have assessed your current skill level, ability and have ascertained how much practice you can obtain between lessons, we will be able to provide you with an accurate estimate.
Please keep in mind that you can never have too many lessons as the more professional driving lessons you have the safer you will become and test ready. Click here to contact us.
Where will I be picked up from?
The driving instructor will normally pick the student up from home or work around the Ipswich area. This can be arranged with the instructor prior to the lesson date. The drop-off can also be arranged prior to the lesson.
When will I be ready to go for the practical test? This time frame will vary for every student. You are ready for the practical driving test when you can drive confidently and consistently without the help of your Driving instructor. As you are getting closer, your Instructor will run you through a mock test to demonstrate what stage you are up to.
Whats my first step before booking driving lessons?
The first step to take is to apply for your provisional drivers license. This can be done online by going to the gov.uk website Without your provisional drivers license you will be unable to book a driving lesson.